The cozy sweater- weather season is amongst us. Pumpkin galore, amazing colors and of course a chance to mix up your cocktails. Try any of these three or look for the ton more options on the bottom of the post. Tell us which ones are your favorites in the comments section.
2 tablespoon canned pumpkin puree
1 star anise (optional)
3 ounces of Smirnoff Vodka Or get the Vanilla and not use the extract
1½ ounce Creme de Cacao
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pumpkin Pie Spice, as garnish
Crushed Graham Crackers, as garnish
• In a cocktail shaker half filled with ice cubes, add vanilla extract, pumpkin puree and star anise. Let the flavors infuse (for about 2 minutes, while you are prepping the other elements)
• Then pour in the vodka and the creme de cacao and shake well
• Shake vigorously. Most drinks will be properly mixed if you shake steadily to a slow count of ten. Hold the top and bottom of the cocktail shaker firmly to ensure they stay together while you are shaking.
• Dip the rim of a chilled martini glass in water, then dip in the Graham Crackers to coat.
• Strain into a martini glass
• Add a dash of the Pumpkin Pie Spice
“Colombian” Hot Toddy
I made this for a party once and it was a real hit. The problem with traditional hot toddies is that they put you to sleep. But this version, give you a boost of caffeine with the black tea.
Black or Green Tea
Brown Sugar Water (Panela that you can get at local bodega)
2 oz Whisky
Aguardiente (Splash if you want)
- Boil hot water for the tea
- In separate pot, boil water with the brown sugar
- Place the cloves in lemon slice
- Put hot water in mug and place tea bag to steep
- Pour the brown sugar mixture to taste
- Remove tea bag and pour in whiskey, aguardiente and lemon slice with cloves
“Martha’s a Drunk” Mulled Cider
(our addition to her recipe)
3 cups fresh apple cider
2 cups dry red wine
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 orange or 2 tangerines (sliced)
1 medium apple or 4 Lady apples (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
1.5 oz of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey Whiskey
• Combine apple cider, dry red wine, maple syrup, peppercorns, orange or tangerines, and apple(s) in a medium pot.
• Gently simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
• Serve warm, in mugs.
• Mix with the shot of whiskey.